Flaco Guapo Media/ photos
Abigail Siekmann, ASU Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/ contributor
SAN ANGELO – Prior to the Angelo State University Rams' special Thursday night football game, one of Texas’ hottest groups, the legendary, Randy Rogers Band, delivered in its' opening act as ASU's "rowdy" Ram fam fans, its university students, faculty and community had the biggest tailgate party.
The UCPC Concert Committee invited the Rogers Band as its’ first show of the Ram Jam season. Besides Randy's' great performance, which won the Ram community over, he sure didn't hurt his cause any when he held up the Rams spirit hand sign which is that of a Ram’s head.
Oh and as for the game itself, under ASU first year head coach, Jeff Grisch, the Rams football team kicked off the 2019 season in style, dominating the Western Oregon University Wolves, 45-20.
• Just under three minutes into the game, Connor Flaningan put the Rams on the board with a 24-yard field goal.
• The Wolves grabbed its only lead about four minutes later on a two-yard rush to lead 7-3.
• In the final two minutes of the second quarter, Payne Sullins handed off to Lloyd Howard for an 18-yard rush to push the score to 24-7.
• The Rams domination continued, scoring twice in the third quarter to lead 38-7.
• 30 seconds into the fourth, Sullins found Lawson Ayo for a 13-yard pass to the end zone for a 45-7 lead.
• The Wolves tried to manage to come back but defense stayed strong, as they blocked a kick to keep the score at 45-13 and gave up one more touchdown in the final two minutes.
• Sullins finished 20 for 24 for 210 yards with three touchdowns.
• Larry Johnson led the offense with six receptions for 66 yards and one touchdown, followed by Lawson Ayo with two touchdowns on three receptions for 44 yards.
• Lloyd Howard was a force on the ground with 16 carries for 112 yards and two touchdowns.
• Duran Miller and Darrick Dickerson Jr. led the defense with two sacks.
The Blue and Gold welcome Simon Fraser, British Columbia to LeGrand Stadium at First Community Federal Credit Union for Military Appreciation on September 14. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.